Posted on 31 October 2008
1. The famous Trojan Wars took place in Western Turkey, around the site where the Trojan horse rests today.
2. Ephesus and Halicarnasus, the place for the two of the Seven Wonders of the ancient world, are in Turkey.
3. St. Nicholas, also known as Santa Claus, was born in Demre, on Turkey’s Mediterranean Coast.
4. Noah’s Ark landed on Mount Ararat in Eastern Turkey.
5. Turks introduced coffee to Europe.
6. Istanbul is the only city in the world built on two continents.
7. Turks gave the Dutch their famous tulips.
8. The oldest known human settlement is in Catalhoyuk, Turkey (7th Millenium B.C.)
9. The first church built by man (St. Peter’s Church) is in Antioch (Antakya), Turkey.
10. Anatolia is the birthplace of historic legends, such as Homer (the poet), King Midas, Herodotus (the father of history), and St. Paul the Apostle.