Posted on 13 December 2017
Selçuk is the central town of Selçuk district, İzmir Province in Turkey, 2 km (1.2 miles) northeast of ancient city Ephesus. Its original Greek name, (Άγιος Θεολόγος) referred to John the Theologian. Under the Ottoman Empire, it was known as Ayasoluk. In 1914, it was renamed Selçuk after the Seljuk Turks who first led incursions into the region in the 12th century. It was a township in Kuşadası district till 1954 and Torbalı between 1954-1957. It finally became a district in 1957.